- Enhanced diversity as entry-level positions are filled with capable young men and women from inner-city families.
- Instills a sense of pride in companies, knowing that they are making a difference in the lives of students with limited economic resources.
- Cost-effective since the cost of a team is less than one full-time employee.
- Stabilizes high-turnover positions and reduces burnout in full-time staff. The most-talented workers in the next wave of the labor force can be identified, trained and eventually hired.
- Acquire skills and dispositions necessary for success in the workplace.
- Develop the self-efficacy and sense of agency needed to dream about a viable, productive future.
- Immersion in a world that is unknown to them, increasing their chances of staying in school and connecting with that world after college.
- Learn the value of work and that employment is a privilege.
For the school
- Serve a community where resources are most scarce and most needed.
- Able to provide a rigorous college preparatory curriculum to students in a faith-filled, values-oriented environment.
- Link real world work experience with academic learning.
- Greater potential for keeping a highly-educated, productive workforce in California after college.
What it means
The Corporate Work Study Program positions students for a brighter, more hopeful future by enabling them to develop self-confidence, build self-esteem, develop life-long mentoring relationships and to recognize opportunity.